Mickey Feldman, Triton #644 (Victoria, B.C.)

I did not take a photo of the two screws behind and at each end of the berth backrest. They aren't visible without sticking your head behind the berth.


These horizontal 2 screws go into a piece of wood about ½" x ½" which can be seen in the photo sitting in the back of the cupboard with the loose screws. This strip of wood is held down by a couple more vertical screws which must be removed with a stubby screwdriver.

Under the strip of wood mentioned in (2) are 2 more vertical screws.

The diagonal brace which the engine cover rests against also locks the galley to the main platform that makes the berth. Originally this brace was in one piece. You can also see the board the wiring has been mounted to, rather than leaving it attached directly to the side of the galley assembly.

The wiring panel is now free, and the brace which locks the galley to the berth platform has been removed.

Another view of the engine and wiring with the galley removed. You can see that the alternator has had it's three mounting screws removed and has been maneuvered up over the engine so that the galley can be shifted inboard.

And here's the gaping galley space, with the access door to the fuel tank etc removed. If you look closely at the top of the drain tubing, you'll see the tailpiece for the drain. I found the easiest way to disconnect the sink was to unscrew this, rather than trying to wiggle the tubing off the tail piece or stop cock. Getting at this without the access door visible in (4) or (5) is no fun.

When all the screws have been removed, the assembly must come inboard towards the engine before it can be moved directly forward. To allow this the alternator must be moved or removed. I have managed with just taking off its mounting bolts and wiggling it up over the engine with its wires attached. In the long run this is not great for the connections, and it would be more correct to disconnect it completely.

If you are removing the galley for first time in decades, you'll probably find that some of the original bronze screws seem to be welded in place. The first time I did this operation it took me a few hours, and a number of the screws could only be removed destructively. I replaced them all with stainless, and the whole job now takes about 15 minutes. A lot of that is fiddling with the alternator. The diagonal brace was one of those situations where the screws refused to come out. I sawed it in two and spliced in a short piece when I reassembled things.

Mounting the wiring on a removable panel was done the first time the galley was out, since I could see it wouldn't be the last time. When I went to replace the galley the first time, I found it didn't fit exactly, presumably due to the shape of the boat changing slightly from being supported in the water. Minor trimming took care of that.